"Kirkcudbright: A Royal Burgh", written and illustrated by Jessie M King (1875-1949), was published by Gowans and Gray of Glasgow in 1934. It describes 17 different locations in the older part of Kirkcudbright, mainly the High Street and its Closes. According to the cover, this volume was Part One, but Part Two was never produced.
Jessie M King trained at the Glasgow School of Art and came to early international prominence as a book illustrator in the 'Glasgow Style'. Before the publication of this booklet, she had illustrated similar works on Edinburgh, Glasgow and Culross. She settled in Kirkcudbright in 1915, remaining at Greengate until her death in 1949.
He and her husband, E A Taylor, were key figures in Kirkcudbright's artistic community and their teaching drew many students to the town. This helped to reinforce and maintain its reputation as an artistic centre, first established by E A Hornel and artists of the 'Kirkcudbright School' at the end the 19th century.
In the collection of The Stewartry Museum, Kirkcudbright.