Parking fines

The enforcement of parking regulations for residential parking, yellow lines, disc/resident zones and disabled bays is split between the Council and the Police. Illegally parked vehicles may be issued with a fixed penalty notice.

Some town centres operate a disc parking scheme. Discs can be obtained from Customer Service Centres, Libraries in Dumfries and Galloway, town centre shops and Visit Dumfries and Galloway.

Disabled parking bays are available in car parks and on-street in many town centres. Any registered disabled person displaying a Blue Badge can use these disabled parking bays.

Residents parking exemption schemes also operate in some of our towns.  Enquiries about and applications for this service can be made at any Customer Service Centre or local DGFirst Office.

To avoid getting a parking ticket, you should display any discs, vouchers, badges and permits clearly. If you plan to park for a longer time, consider using an off-street car park.  Do not park in a space designated for a motorcycle, a Blue Badge holder, a resident's permit holder, or other spaces saved for specific groups. Ensure your entire vehicle is inside the bay markings.

Paying a parking fine

You can pay parking fines online 
or in person at one of our Customer Service Centres.

Appealing a parking fine

There are just six grounds on which you can dispute the notice:

  1. You were not the owner, keeper or hirer of the vehicle when the ticket was issued.
  2. You did not park incorrectly, for example, your vehicle was not there, or your vehicle was parked in a public parking bay with a valid voucher clearly displayed.
  3. Your vehicle was taken without your consent when the ticket was issued.
  4. The traffic order was invalid.
  5. You are a vehicle hire firm and have supplied the hirers details.
  6. The penalty charge was more than the amount you are legally liable to pay.

If you receive a parking ticket and you do not wish to contest it, you should try and pay it as soon as possible, otherwise the fine increases.  If you still don't pay it, we may take you to court.

Related Information

Contact Details


Community Safety Team

Cargen Tower
Garroch Loaning

Tel: 030 33 33 3000
Email this contact

External Links

Contact Dumfries and Galloway Council T: 030 33 33 3000

Council Offices
English Street

Comments, Compliments and Complaints