Home Page > Social care and health > Help for adults > Support groups and organisations for the elderly and disabled

Support groups and organisations for the elderly and disabled

There are a number of groups and organisations, both local and national, which provide advice and support to different sections of the community such as older people, disabled people or those with learning difficulties.

Elderly People

Age Concern Scotland - The UK's leading charities concerned with the needs and aspirations of older people.

Age Positive - Age positive is a government initiative which tackles age discrimination and promotes age diversity in the workplace

Alzheimer Scotland - Alzheimer Scotland is Scotland's leading dementia charity who provide services and campaign actively to help people with dementia and their families and carers.

Carers - For carers, voluntary organisations and others, related to the national strategy for Caring about Carers, and providing useful links.

Contact the Elderly - Seeks to reduce the isolation for older people who live alone, by providing social occasions such as monthly tea parties.

Dementia Research Group - One of the UK's leading centres for clinical research into dementia.

Help the Aged - A leading national charity for older people.

Independent Age - A philanthropic organisation providing financial support and friendship for older people.

Which? Elderly Care - Free, independent and practical advice about caring for older people across the UK.

Disabled People

Action for Blind People - A national charity which aims to enable blind and partially sighted people to enjoy equal opportunities in every aspect of their lives through work, leisure, housing and support.

Disabled Information Advice Line UK - A source of information for people with disabilities.

Disability Sport England - Opportunities for participation in sport for people with all disabilities.

Epilepsy Action (British Epilepsy Association) - Advice and information on all aspects of living with epilepsy. They aim to reply to helpline queries by email within 48 hours.

National Deaf Children's Society - An organisation of parents, families and carers which exists to support parents in enabling their child to maximise their skills and abilities.

Headway - Promoting understanding of all aspects of brain injury; and provides information, support and services to people with a brain injury, their family and carers.

Rethink - Working with people with a learning disability, and their families and carers. They also help everyone affected by severe mental illness, including schizophrenia, to recover a better quality of life.

National Society for Epilepsy (NSE) - The largest UK medical charity for epilepsy. The website offers information about epilepsy and about the NSE, frequently asked questions, personal accounts of living with epilepsy, a message board and more.

Support in Mind Scotland - Support in Mind Scotland seek to support and empower all those affected by mental illness, including family members, carers and supporters.

Royal Association in Aid of Deaf people (RAD) - Striving to meet the individual needs of deaf children and adults and deafblind people through the provision of services and the use of RAD Centres for Deaf People.

Royal National Institute of the Blind - Register as blind.

Scope - Helping people with cerebral palsy to achieve equality in society.

See Ability (Royal School for the Blind) - Working with adults who are blind or partially sighted, and have a range of additional disabilities. The charity works to encourage people's independence and to enhance their quality of life. They are also involved in research projects and training courses for professionals who work with people who are blind or partially sighted.

There a number of recognised groups and organisations who provide advice and support to Users and Carers for people with learning disabilities.

Parents Inclusion Network (PIN)
1 Gordon Street

Tel: 01387-252683
Website: Parents for Inclusion

D&G Advocacy Service
107 English Street

Tel: 01387-247237
Website: The People's Advocacy Service

Princess Royal Trust for Carers
2-6 Nith Place

Tel: 01387-248600
Website: The Princess Royal Trust for Carers

User and Carer Involvement (U.C.I.)
81-85 Irish Street
Dumfries DG1 2PQ

Tel: 01387-25533


The See Hear Project is a partnership between Visibility and the National Deaf Children's Society (NDCS) to support adults and children with sight and/or hearing loss living in Dumfries & Galloway and their carers.

We provide a range of services including information on sensory loss, aids, equipment and services; training in accessible technology; early support for new hearing aid users; use of magnification to read more easily; and a number of opportunities to build up skills and confidence to live life to the full.

We help to host a number of group meetings across the region for people living with sensory loss and their families. If you would like to meet others who can understand what you're going through for a coffee and a chat, come along to:

Dumfries Visual Impairment Group

Where: St George's Church Hall, George St, Dumfries
When: Third Tuesday of every month
Time: 1:30pm to 3:30pm

Dumfries Visual Impairment Social Club

Where: Venue varies contact Andrea Houston for details on 01387 263652
When: Last Friday evening of every month
Time: 7:00pm to 10:00pm

Newton Stewart Visual Impairment Group

Where: Cinnamon Café, Victoria Street, Newton Stewart
When: Last Monday of every month
Time: 2:00pm to 3:30pm

Stranraer Sensory Impairment Group
Where: Custom House, North Strand Street, Stranraer
When: First Tuesday of every month
Time: 2:00pm to 3:30pm

Castle Douglas Sensory Impairment Group
Where: Community Centre, Cotton Street, Castle Douglas
When: Third Wednesday of every month
Time: 2:00pm to 3:30pm

Annandale & Eskdale Sensory Impairment Group
We are currently looking at venues and times for this monthly meeting. For more information, please contact us on the details below.

If you would like to speak to someone first before going to any of the groups above, contact the See Hear Project on:

Tel: 01387 267131 Text: 07508 685 262
Email: seehear@visibility.org.uk

Related Information

Contact Details


Duty Social Worker - Annandale and Eskdale

Annan Town Hall
High Street

Tel: 030 33 33 3001

Duty Social Worker - Newton Stewart

Penninghame Centre
Auchendoon Road
Newton Stewart

Tel: 030 33 33 3001


Duty Social Worker - Nithsdale

122-124 Irish Street

Tel: 030 33 33 3001
Fax: 01387 267106

Duty Social Worker - Stewartry

Gardenhill Primary Care Centre
2 Gardenhill Road
Castle Douglas

Tel: 030 33 33 3001


Duty Social Worker - Stranraer

Ashwood House
Sun Street

Tel: 030 33 33 3001

Contact Dumfries and Galloway Council T: 030 33 33 3000

Council Offices
English Street

Comments, Compliments and Complaints