Home Page > Law and Licensing > Licences, Permits and Permissions > Animal Regulations and Licences

Animal Regulations and Licences

Find out information on animal regulations and licences.

  • Horse Riding Establishments
    Stables that hire out horses or ponies for riding or instruction must be licensed under the Riding Establishments Acts 1964 and 1970.
    Find out more...
  • Licences - Boarding Animals
    Under the Animal Boarding Establishment Act 1963 anyone who provides accommodation for other peoples cats and dogs is required to have a licence.
    Find out more...
  • Licences - Dangerous Animals
    The Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 contains a list of the animals classed as dangerous wild animals e.g. wild boar, ostriches. In addition to powers of inspection, the Act also gives the Council powers to seize any animal being kept on premises which are unlicensed.
    Find out more...
  • Licences - Dog Breeders
    Under the Breeding of Dogs Act 1973, as amended by the Breeding and Sale of Dogs (Welfare) Act 1999, you must have a licence from the Council to keep a breeding establishment for dogs. Premises must be inspected by a Environmental Standards officer and a vet prior to issuing the licence.
    Find out more...
  • Licences - Pet Shops
    The Pet Animals Act 1951 regulates the sale of animals from licensed pet shops.
    Find out more...
  • Licences for Zoos
    Zoos are required to be licensed under the Zoo Licensing Act 1981.
    Find out more...
  • Stray Dogs
    Stray Dogs are responsible for many problems reported to the Council. They may be responsible road accidents and the indiscriminate fouling of pavements and playgrounds. They may also attack children, adults and other pet dogs or animals.
    Find out more...

Related Information

More Information

Contact Dumfries and Galloway Council T: 030 33 33 3000

Council Offices
English Street

Comments, Compliments and Complaints