Home Page > Transport and streets > Roads and pavements > Roadworks and road closures

Roadworks and road closures

Use this page to find out information about roadworks and road closures in Dumfries and Galloway.

Who maintains the roads in Dumfries and Galloway?

We inspect every road at least once a year and use this information to decide which ones need repairs the most.

We then work out a programme of roadworks for the financial year on a priority basis.

You can use our online Public Roads Viewer to see what roads our council has responsibility for maintaining.

Trunk Roads, including the M74 motorway, are the responsibility of Transport Scotland.

  • The M74 motorway is managed and maintained by Autolink
  • The A7 is managed and maintained by Amey
  • The A75, A76, A77, A701, A751 and other trunk roads are managed and maintained by Scotland TranServ

Road closures

RoadWatch is a system developed by our council to report information on road incidents during times of emergencies.

To report an incident, please contact the Council Call Centre by telephone on 030 33 33 3000 or email details of the incident to contact@dumgal.gov.uk

To help you make informed decisions about your travel plans, especially when severe weather is likely or during times of emergencies, please visit Traffic Scotland to get live traffic information.

For an up to date list of all the Roads notices published by our council visit Tell Me Scotland.  Tellmescotland.gov.uk is Scotland's national public information notices (PINs) portal. It publishes public notices from across Scotland in one location.

Requesting a road closure

A traffic regulation order is required by any person or organisation that plans to carry out works within the public road boundary, which requires the closure of any public road. Road closure requests can be submitted using an online form.


All costs involved will have to be met by the person requesting the closure. The current charges for temporary road closures are detailed below and are valid to 31 March 2015.

  • Commercial organisations - £427
  • Charitable type activity and sporting events with economic benefit to local community - £299
  • Registered Charities - £49

Cost of public notices and temporary diversion signing (where agreed) are in addition to the above costs which are not subject to VAT. An invoice for the full cost will be raised on completion.

Road occupation permits

If you propose to occupy part of a road (i.e. carriageway, footway, footpath or cycle path etc) for skips, scaffolding and hoarding purposes, there is a requirement under the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984 to obtain permission from the Council. This is done by applying for the relevant permit.


We carry out these planned works to keep the roads and footways safe and well maintained. We try to get the balance right between keeping disruption to a minimum and the need to regularly maintain and improve roads.

If you would like to find out further information about our planned roadworks up until 31 March 2015, you can use the interactive map, view a list, or create a work report by following the links below.

information about on going road works anywhere in Scotland. You will be able to find out how long works are expected to last and which organisation is carrying out the works' you can top and tail the narrative as necessary.

Related Information

Contact Details


Road Network Management

Cargen Tower
Garroch Business Park

Tel: 01387 271100
Email this contact

More Information

External Links

Contact Dumfries and Galloway Council T: 030 33 33 3000

Council Offices
English Street

Comments, Compliments and Complaints