Fly tipping is the illegal dumping of rubbish or waste on land not meant for that purpose. Our Community Safety Team is responsible for dealing with reports of fly tipping.
Our officers can issue a fixed penalty notice of £200 and can arrange for the rubbish to be removed. More serious offences can be prosecuted through the courts with fines of up to £40,000 and a prison sentence.
Report fly tipping
You can report any rubbish that has been dumped on public land or Council premises to the Community Safety Team:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call 030 33 33 3000
You need to provide:
- your contact details
- the location of the fly tipping
- how much rubbish has been dumped and what it is
- the date and time you saw it being fly-tipped (if you know this)
- description of the vehicle or people involved (if you know this)
Fly tipping on private land
Fly tipping on private ground is the responsibility of the landowner.
You must ensure that your land is as secure as possible if you are responsible for land or are a private land owner.
Dispose of waste and large items legally
- Take household waste to a recycling centre
- Arrange for large items to be collected from your home
- Sign up for our commercial waste services