Notifying people of a death

We can help you give information about a death to different council services and government departments who need to know.

You'll be offered this service for free when you visit one of our registration offices to register a death . The people that we give your information to will use it to update records, resolve any outstanding issues and end services, benefits or entitlements.

Who we'll contact

We can notify the following government departments:

  • Department for Work and Pensions
  • HM Revenue and Customs
  • Identity and Passport Service
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency

We can also tell the following council services:

  • Libraries
  • Social work
  • Housing
  • Council tax
  • Electoral registration

What we need to know

We want to make sure we give the right information to anyone that we contact. We'll need the following information about the person who has died:

  • National Insurance number and date of birth
  • Details of any benefits or services they were receiving
  • Driving licence number
  • Passport number

We may also ask you for information about:

  • their next of kin
  • any surviving husband, wife or civil partner
  • anybody who is getting Child Benefit on their behalf
  • the person dealing with their estate

You need approval from these people if you're going to give us their information.

Page last updated: 07/05/2019
email icon print icon