Getting married in Dumfries and Galloway
You need to contact us and complete paperwork if you are planning to get married in this region.
A number of documents have to be submitted to one of our registration offices along with the relevant fees payment. This can be done within 3 months of the marriage date and no later than 29 days before that date.
Both parties will need to provide:
- a marriage notice application (Form M10)
- a birth certificate
- a passport
- proof of address (dated within the last three months)
- proof of being widowed (if appropriate)
- proof of a divorce or annulment (if appropriate)
- a certificate showing you can marry (if you live outside the UK or have lived here less than 2 years)
- a Declaration of Immigration Status (if you are not British, a national of the European Economic Area or Swiss)
A certified translation must be provided with any documents you submit that are written in a language other than English.
Marriage fees must be paid when you submit your documents. The amount you pay depends on how you'd like to get married. The basic fees are:
- Civil ceremony in a registration office - £125
- Civil ceremony in an approved venue - £297.50
- Religious ceremony in another venue - £70
These costs cover the marriage notice fees, the cost of a marriage certificate and any basic ceremony or staff costs. Other charges may also apply for civil ceremonies depending on the location or date you choose. Ask your registrar for further details.
What happens next
We'll produce a Marriage Schedule once we've processed your paperwork and are happy that there are no legal reasons that the marriage can't go ahead. A marriage can't take place without the Marriage Schedule and you need to sign it on the day.
Our registrar will bring the Marriage Schedule if you are having a civil ceremony but you need to collect it from the office if you're having a religious ceremony.
We will officially register the marriage afterwards and send you a copy of the marriage certificate when it is ready. The cost is included in our initial charges.