Record a change of name

You can apply to the National Records of Scotland for a change of name.

Who can have their name changed

You can apply for a change of name if one of the following applies:

  • born in Scotland
  • subject of a parental order made in Scotland
  • legally adopted in Scotland
  • in the Gender Recognition Register

Who can apply

You can apply yourself if you are over 16 years of age.

An application for a person under 16 must be made by:

  • the parent with parental responsibilities (if one parent has parental responsibilities)
  • both parents (if two parents have parental responsibilities)
  • any person with parental responsibilities (if neither parent has parental responsibilities)

What can be recorded

There is a limit to the number of changes that can be recorded:

  • One change of forename and one change of surname for a child under 16
  • One change of forename and three changes of surname for people over 16

A period of 5 years must pass between changes of surname.

Apply for a change of name

Get application forms, find out more and check costs:

Page last updated: 07/05/2019
email icon print icon